USA Football is the sport’s national governing body and is a member of the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USOPC).
Its Education Advisory Council is one of three that provide the organization leadership and assistance in its efforts to create, maintain and deliver valuable resources and support to youth football leagues and coaches. It advises on the best methods and strategies to implement education and curriculum spanning early childhood through adult learning, further advancing the organization’s work across grassroots levels of the sport.
“I am delighted to join such a world-class education advisory council. USA Football has demonstrated an extraordinary level of care for young athletes and offers industry-leading educational tools. TeachAids’ collaboration with USA Football in recent years has been extremely productive in advancing athlete education and safety, which I look forward to leveraging in my work with my new fellow council members.”
— Piya Sorcar
Sorcar is the founder and CEO of TeachAids, a non-profit social impact venture and USA Football partner that designs and develops research-based educational technology applications to address persistent problems in global health education. Its CrashCourse curriculum, a research-based virtual reality application to educate youth athletes about concussions in sports, is part of USA Football’s nationally accredited Coach Certification and is distributed through other national sports organizations such as the USOPC.
“Strengthened by the addition of Dr Sorcar, the forward-thinking work of our Education Council coupled with the fitness and unifying power of our sport are especially important for our youth today. For the good of our young athletes and their families, it’s inspiring and significant to have subject matter experts like these in our USA Football family.”
— USA Football CEO & Executive Director Scott Hallenbeck
The members of the Education Advisory Council are as follows:
- *Dr. Paul Roetert, Managing Director, United States Tennis Association
- Donald Davis, Head Coach & Teacher, Sidwell Friends School (Washington, DC)
- Carla Garrett, Director of Operations, Southwest Virginia American Youth Football
- Ken Martel, American Development Model (ADM) Technical Director, USA Hockey
- Ed Roldan, Youth Coach & Board Member, Southeast Bronx (NY) Youth Coalition
- Audrey Shaw, TrueSport Outreach & Education Program Lead, United States Anti-Doping Agency
- Dr. Piya Sorcar, Founder & CEO, TeachAids; Adjunct Affiliate, Stanford School of Medicine
- Dr. Mark Urtel, Dept. of Kinesiology Chair & Associate Professor, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
USA Football Youth Coach Certification to include CrashCourse Concussion Education Module
USA Football, Pop Warner, and TeachAids Launch Virtual Reality Concussion Education
USA Football Partners with TeachAids to Benefit Young Athletes